Sun, 06 Aug|
Sea Shore and Hedgerow Foraging - Killiney Hill and Whiterock
Come and discover the edible plants and algae on our shores. Learn what their benefits are and how to use them to cook amazing food!
Time & Location
06 Aug 2023, 09:30 – 11:30 IST
Dublin, Scalpwilliam, Dublin, Ireland
About the event
We'll meet near the car park at Killiney Hill and we'll take a walk towards the coast while reviewing and discussing the wild seasonal plants and trees in season on the way including all their nutritional and medicinal benefits.
We'll drop down to White Rock Beach for low tide and discuss the coastal plants and seaweed.
Weather permitting, we'll stop on the beach for a little picnic!
The walk will include a foraged drink (or two) and wild food snacks
I provide an information sheet afterwards on the plants seen and discussed as well as recipes.
For a more sustainable event please bring a keep cup for your drinks!
For a more social and friendly occasion - bring your friends!! :-)
Some of the plants we'll see, discuss and share recipes:
St. John's Wort
You will be provided with an info sheet after the event with clear photos of the plants viewed for identification and a short piece of information to remind you of it's qualities and benefits. |t will also include recipes for the food you sampled. This will be sent in pdf format. You can open the sheet on your mobile or laptop for review. If you prefer a printed sheet, please let me know in advance. The pdf version is kinder on the environment and will be much more useful - it can come with you anywhere as long as you have your phone.
What to bring...
- You will need appropriate clothing and footwear. We will mainly walk on tarmac paths but there will be a foray into the woods where it's a little mucky. Please check the weather . It's generally advisable to bring some rain-ready gear!
- The walk is moderately accessible for most but is not suitable for anyone with an advanced disability. It will take 2 hours. We drop down a steep but paved gradient to enter the beach. We will climb this gradient (with steps) to exit the beach and return to the carpark.
Health and safety
- By signing up for this event you are agreeing to take responsibility for your own safety.
- You will be given clear instructions and guidelines about the plants we see. However, what you decide to eat and the quantities are entirely your decision and responsibility. If you're new to foraging - go easy! :-)
- If you are prone to any food allergies or have senstivities towards food, please inform the guide. Do not eat anything you think may cause a reaction
Killiney and White Rock Forage
Ticket includes wild food drinks, snacks and an information sheet.From €10.00 to €30.00